Saturday 27 December 2014

Telling the truth can be hard but it's the best thing to do




Dear readers,

Today I will be sharing a story that's very close to me -a story where I told the truth and got rewarded for it. This story is of the time when I was 16 years old and spending time with my friends meant the world to me. Celebrating with them, celebrating with treats and all this with my father's money.

My father never had us asking for any requirement of ours, he always took care of our needs even before we asked for it. But for some reason, I was hesitant to ask him for extra money but that would have been the right thing to do.

I used to take money from my father's wallet and without his permission, I didn't realize what I was doing was wrong but that's how childhood is - sometimes you may not realize your mistake but better late than never, when you do realize your mistake - you shall admit it and come out with the truth.

It had been around a few months and I had been regularly taking money from my father's wallet and finally one day - my father got fed up and asked my mother as to who was taking money from his wallet - my mother didn't know who it was.

Few days later, my father caught me taking money from his wallet but didn't confront me - he let me take the money and for days that followed, he didn't even mention this incident - he wanted a confession from me.

One of my friends though had been caught by his father for taking money off his wallet and he told me about this and told me how regretful he was of not telling his father that it was him that was taking money from his wallet. This made me realize that I shall not commit the same mistake as him and decided to confront my father with the truth.

My father came from his office and I told him the truth and you know what my father said! He obviously said "I know". I was shocked to know that he knew of me taking money from his wallet and he told me - he knew that I'd been taking money off his wallet for a few days now but he wanted me to realize my mistake. He further added that he's always ready to give me a few extra bucks to celebrate with friends, after all that is what childhood is about - I just need to ask him.

This made me realize that it's in fact true that parents go a step ahead to ensure their childrens convenience and had I asked my father, he would never say NO to give me money to celebrate with friends. Confronting him with the truth was tough but it made me realize my mistake and it's the internal satisfaction that I got which matters.

It's very true - truth is hard but its the best thing to do. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment